Sunday, June 27, 2010

The truth about airplanes is that they fly, don't go a-thinking they ride their way

The airplane, that became one of my favorite thing about travelling. At one point, I even thought about becoming a flight attendant to be able to travel as much as I wanted (and so everywhere in the world) As that never happened, I will enjoy many flying experience because I look forward to work in many different countries with my soon-to-be job (archaeologist). Anyway, about planes. I like riding in them, it feels like a safer (?) roller coaster ride (when you get turbulence anyway) plus you get food while sitting on it (and I do enjoy the food too, but that must be part of my weirdness). I enjoy the movies too, I like to shut myself out (if I'm with people I know) and plug those free (they are not all the time) earphones and check out movies I haven't seen yet. So the longer the ride is the happier I am. I like all those people carrying luggage around the arriving airport, looking out where they have to go (often my case except when I'm in YUL - Montreal-) The frenzy that goes along is awesome.
So the first time you get on an airplane, you get struck by the small passageway in between the rows and stressed about where you'll end up with the seat number. Because even if it is the first time in a plane, you know you don't want to end up at the back (well, that is after you have watch Lost). I didn't end up in the back luckily the first time I took the plane. I even got the window, which is awesome (even at night) because you get to see the landscape, which would be here the skyscape. All the flights from Montreal to Europe are at night, so basically, you only see something when you arrive at destination. Alright so back inside the plane. We got ourselves something warm to wear for the flight, because we were told it would be a bit cold at one point. With our big sweatshirt in hand, luggage and plane ticket in the other we tried to sneak in between the lucky passengers who had already found their seats. And slowly passed each seat's number, verifying from time to time with our own number, until finally we had reached our sitting destination. The adventure wasn't over, we just couldn't rest now. We had to put out our stuff in the compartment above us. My friend proposed herself to stay up and try as quickly as she could to put our stuff inside the tiny rounded space.
Now that all further movements was now to be narrowed to move in the seat to get comfortable, we could relax and take it easy for a while. I got a bit nervous, because it was getting real by the second. We were leaving for London and there were no coming back. I thought about what I would do and how it would be around with my friend. But really, what could go wrong I thought? I stopped worrying about it and started to enjoy the present moment. I checked out everyone who came in, the people who sat besides us, the many flight attendants. Planes are always crowded. And suddenly the engines are running and we feel a light movement. The airplane slowly goes to its shipping (?) lane and right when it is ready it gives all it can and the speed kicks in. And that's not even the fun part! The speeding is really nice but when the plane is ready, it leaves the ground! Yeah it figures, planes are flying and not riding. That's really fun to experience, you feel the rapidness of the machines under your seat. And once you're up in the air, well you just stay there until destination (that is for me London's Gatwick airport).

No comments: