Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Surfing on malicious net waves will make you sick

Or at least your computer (but then I did catch a cold pretty much at the same time, I guess I could say sympathy (pain) virus!)

It's been quite a time since I uploaded something new here. Let's talk about that virus (not that computer one i am very embarrassed about :P, yep I did...anyway...) I did catch up a cold (or the flu... i can never make up the difference between the two) and I suspect my road trip to Boston to have subtlety gave me the sniffle (who could have thought at this time of year??) Last Tuesday (a week ago already!) my friends and I decide to leave very very early that very morning (3:00am) for Boston -let me remind you that I live in Quebec city- a good 7h ride away from our destination. Why Boston you might ask? I say why not! No predisposition were there to let us head over to Boston other than my crazy friend who probably threw in a hat random names of big American cities and got out Boston first!
We didn't know what to expect over there, we just went for it (we did cheat a little by checking out what was to see hence the Natural History museum on the Harvard Campus) After a very long ride (with stops in Franconia (which we must go see again), Concord (the lovely) we finally arrived in the Massachusetts state. The sun was hitting hard in the car but it was a tiny bit chilly outside. It was the kinda weather though that was perfect for a walk outside. We hadn't checked the hotels (or other sleeping facilities) before leaving Quebec (I thought since we didn't know Boston enough, we couldn't actually pick out a room on one side of the city not knowing if we would reach it, fair enough right?) We spent a good deal of time figuring out where the Museum (and Harvard Campus were) with our little mapquest printed maps (And what saved us from going mad, was my little GPS app on my phone, lucky us!)
So we did get to the museum , got 1: 45min to visit it (because we didn't have enough change for longer time) - the museum was bleh... I guess you just can't compare it to the British Museum- Back outside the museum, it was time to figure out where we would sleep, it was still early in the afternoon, so it gave us time to plan out the day. We learned that very minute that my crazy friend (the appellation is filled with love I assure) didn't want to sleep in a dormitory in a Youth Hostel (a place that I swear by really), so I panicked...jumped to conclusions that we would sleep in the car because hotels were out of question because of our lack of money. Discussions ensued and we settled to check out hotels (we were all agreeing to put a bit more of money if needed to), First stop? Wait, we don't know! Oh no, my other friend (and roommates, and fellow traveler) did saw a hotel sign when we arrived by the 93 highway. Hooray!
We figure out our way back (how? I don't even remember!) We had to stop at a McDonald's to see their menu...basically the same thing, but I'm sure the large drink portion is bigger over in the USA than in Canada! When we finally got into the hotel, the manager ...told us that there were no more rooms left (Some sort of convention he said took place in Boston, couldn't it be the Hockey game the night after?) He nicely offered another hotel (and it wasn't the same chain!) We quickly to notes down on how to get there and we headed with no further ado over. We got lost (of course!) I was (again) starting to panic over at my GPS apps that wasn't acting quickly enough for my crazy friend driving skills. We managed to get there with the help of my roommie, traveler friend who had crazy knowledge of how to read half a printed mapquest map (I lift up my hat!)
And well, of course just to put us through more unneeded stress, when we arrived at the hotel, the manager also told us that the convention (really it wasn't the Boston-Philly game??) had taken up all the rooms. He were really nice enough to lead us up some road to maybe get the chance to find out a room in a motel. (People in Boston are SO nice with its visitors...is it the same when you're a local?)
Thank god (who or whatever it was) the outings of Boston greeted us with a shady motel (the one that makes you think you're in a horror movie). But the staff was very friendly and the place turned out not so bad after all. However the guy over at the counter asked me (the one who was to talk to people because seemingly my english is not bad) for my passport when I register the group for a room (I did turn around to my friend and say Hostel anyone? --referring to the movie of course, and luckily I was the only one o have seen it...otherwise, I'm pretty sure the girls would freaked out!--) Anyway we got a much needed room and rest. The mood of the group peacefully went down a notch because all of the drama of driving around an unknown city is quite nerve-racking. Showers and lunch for everybody (we did brought with us bread and peanut butter - a must for road tripping I say!-)
The crazy friend wasn't up for walking around the city, it was around 17h and I sure wasn't going to stay in the motel for the evening and night! We were in Boston, gotta see Boston not stay inside a crummy motel room and watch TV. Why did we get there? To see a bit of the city at the very least! My roomie/traveling fellow friend wasn't up for it too (ohh co-me on !!!!) Oh but my other friend (frenchy) was totally up for the part, as she asked me first for checking the sight a bit!
.....
(to be continued)

No comments: