Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Boston Tea Party

It turned out more like a (smallish) -visiting- pub crawl

So as Frenchie called me in as to do a little visit around town, I said nonchalantly: " Yeah" . I didn't want to sound to eager or to excited to go. What was I thinking? I was that cool travelling chick who has already seen it all? (Come one now!) Anyway, so as I was lying in the motel room, we all watch blankly at the TV (I think it was Requiem for a Dream, which BTW I have never seen completely). I was secretly with piercing eyes watching Frenchie and hoping she would look at me so I could pull out: " Whenever you're ready girl!" And suddenly, as the gods of travellers from all around the world -the only known to me is Greek god Hermes- made Frenchie turn her head at my direction and I was able to say what was making my tongue roll. We happily hop off our respective beds and grabbed shoes, camera (but of course not mine, I forgot it just beside the TV set inside the motel room) and some money. The guy over at the counter told us the train (hmmm no, subway but that's what they call it over there) station was really close to the motel. We still had some good light from the end of the afternoon and the weather was just a tiny bit chilly, just perfect for walking in the unknown city of Boston.

We quickly catch on the station and got to see that it was indeed a subway (who knew Boston had a subway??) We tried on to buy tickets, hard task since there is no service counter (to the great disbelief of Frenchie here, who kept on quickly look around to see if there would be someone around to help us) I stubbornly insisted to do it myself (and as any guy around the globe, I said to myself I can do it myself). Really the problem was my credit card, I knew how the machine worked. So we finally got ourselves two round-trip ticket (Adult fee, we weren't going to mess up with the student thing) and we headed to the nearest map to see where we would go. Our main goal there was to check out the Ocean. From a map point a view, Boston is right on the Atlantic Coast, right? Well, not where we were unfortunately, but we did saw a pretty good deal of the port.

After a little stop at the beautiful old Boston port, my friend proposed that we do a little walk around town, to see what is was like. With no main destination in head, we took whatever street we felt like (an awesome and pretty relax way to visit a city). We crossed a street and in front of us we saw an Irish pub. (Pubs = Friend + I) We couldn't resist for a little drink (we took Guiness). We also took pictures of our stop and that's where I got the nickname frenchie for my friend because, really, I took one of her while wind was in her blond hair, the pint in hand ready to have a sip at the Guiness. She basically looked French on that picture. After the pint, we continued on our walk and we randomly chose streets around town. It was really fun. We had to other beer stop and we walk a very very long way. We saw the historic part of Boston with its brick sidewalk and rows of red (and wavy) houses. We both fell in love with the city. I so want to go to U Boston now!

It got late ( past 21h00) --we were awake since 3:00 in the morning-- and we decided to grab the nearest subway station and go back at the hotel. We slept most of the way in the subway (Beer+ Vibration = amazing sleep). We had a good night sleep, we all knew we had lots of road to do the next morning to get back home.

As we slowly got up, the word was to visit some more the beautiful Boston. However Frenchie and I couldn't really say where we were the evening before so we kinda drop off the idea of getting ourselves again lost and preferred to get our asses back over in Canada. The crazy friend did offer to slowly head back and stop whenever we wanted to to watch the landscape. We of course all agreed to it. Who wanted to go back home now anyway? We were all in that adventurous mood.

to be continued

No comments: